I was browsing around for something to make for dinner and found this interesting recipes for homemade pet treats. I thought I would post them and get your opinions. Have you ever made homemade treats for your pets? Share your recipes and experiences!
Tuna Kitty Treats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
1/2 can tuna, in oil or 1/2 cup cooked chicken, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable or cod liver oil
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup water
- In large bowl, mash the tuna (or chicken). Add the flour and powdered milk, mixing well. Stir in the water, oil and egg, mixing well. Mixture will be sticky.
- Shape mixture into 1/2-inch sized balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Press balls to flatten.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 10 minutes. Remove treats from oven; let sit 5 minutes and then turn treats over and bake another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Store in an air tight container in refrigerator.
Cheddar Cheese Dog Cookies
Recipe submitted by Diana Hatfield – Bixby.
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat germ
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream the cheese and margarine together using an electric mixer. Add the egg and garlic, beating mixture well. Stir in the flour, wheat germ, salt and milk, mixing well. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Roll dough out onto a floured work surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375*F (190*C) for 15 to 18 minutes.